It’s almost starting to look like a bag

Sewing continues. Here’s a peek:

IMG_1475This is – or will be, if all goes well – the Super Tote by noodlehead (Anna Graham), in progress. I kind of wanted a lightweight bag for when I’m schlepping things that don’t fit in my purse, and I fell in love with this cat patterned canvas, so thought this would be a fun project to combine the two. (I say “if all goes well” to cover both my fledging skills, and general randomness, since I already had something of a tragic incident involving some of this bag’s pieces and a puking cat.)

Planning this made clear how difficult it is to match colors and patterns – that is, putting together fabric colors and patterns, and figuring out if they’ll work for the project itself. Here, I originally thought I might make the Metro Hipster, but once I got the fabric I realized the scale was too large and I’d be cutting apart all the charming black cats.  So the Super Tote it was.

So far, I’m fairly happy with my choices, but looking at the photo, I’m not sure if I love the cream topstitching. That said, the lighting was terrible – the background is actually a deep blue, rather than charcoal – so I probably shouldn’t rely on the photo. And the white line down the center is just chalk, which will go away eventually, which I think will make the topstitching look better? I felt like black topstitching would be a little severe, and red would be a little too matchy-matchy.

(The funny thing is that noodlehead just posted a picture of a new Super Tote she made recently, and it’s clear that she made the strap a little differently from the directions in the pattern. The pattern directs you to topstitch the strap at 1/4″ and 3/8″, but the one she just posted is clearly edgestitched and then topstitched. Kind of wish I’d realized that before doing mine, as I like the look of the edgestitching better. But I am way too lazy to redo it, as that would require not only unpicking the seams to remove the strap, but either unpicking all. that. topstitching, or cutting and sewing new straps. Oh well.)

So. My great hope is to finish by the end of the weekend. We will see! And then we’ll see if it turns out well enough to carry in public.

Advertisements